While the city’s budget had increased from $1.2 million in 1945 to $4.3 million in 1951, the outlay to extend services to subdivisions far out on the East Mesa struck Tingley as foolish.
A few years earlier, the Pyles, living “like trees in the sky, without roots,” had built one of the first Ranch Style houses to appear in the East Mesa suburbs.From 1954 through 1958, these costs were substantial as the city dug 190 miles of water lines and paved 157 miles of new roads (Wood 191).In the longer run, however, many of these costs were mitigated.The 1950 Census, which for the first time included Albuquerque in the category of metropolitan areas exceeding 100,000 in population, also attested to this rapid growth.It indicated that almost 12,000 houses had been constructed during the 1940s with the vast majority of the new construction devoted to houses ranging in value from $7,500 to $14,999.Other indicators of the city’s rapid growth appear in the extension of various city services and permits.
Electric connection jumped from 17,037 in 1940, to 44,983 in 1950, to 75,487 in 1960.
In 1947, the legislature acted, providing a law that created a seven-person arbitration board to decide upon proposed annexations.
Within two years, the new law had been applied to Old Albuquerque.
In the aftermath of the war, as the Cold War and the expanded role of government brought new employees to the area’s national weapons laboratories and other regional administrative offices, thousands of others also chose to make the city their home.
In two decades, the city’s population jumped from 35,449 in 1940 to 96,815 in 1950 to 201,189 in 1960.
It sought to expand its boundaries to bring the peripheral suburbs into the city’s boundaries, thereby hoping to inflate its image as an emerging metropolitan area.